Page header image

About Us

The Standards Commission is an independent body whose purpose is to encourage high ethical standards in public life through the promotion and enforcement of Codes of Conduct for councillors and those appointed to the boards of devolved public bodies.


(i) You have a registerable interest where you receive remuneration by virtue of being:

  • employed;
  • self-employed;
  • the holder of an office;
  • a director of an undertaking;
  • a partner in a firm; or
  • undertaking a trade, profession or vocation or any other work.

(ii) In relation to (i) above, the amount of remuneration does not require to be registered and remuneration received as a Member does not have to be registered.

(iii) If a position is not remunerated it does not need to be registered under this category. However, unremunerated directorships may need to be registered under category two, "Related Undertakings".

(iv) If you receive any allowances in relation to membership of any organisation, the fact that you receive such an allowance must be registered.

(v) When registering employment, you must give the name of the employer, the nature of its business, and the nature of the post held in the organisation.

(vi) When registering self-employment, you must provide the name and give details of the nature of business. When registering an interest in a partnership, you must give the name of the partnership and the nature of its business.

(vii) Where you undertake a trade, profession or vocation, or any other work, the detail to be given is the nature of the work and its regularity. For example, if you write for a newspaper, you must give the name of the publication, and the frequency of articles for which you are paid.

(viii) When registering a directorship, it is necessary to provide the registered name of the undertaking in which the directorship is held and the nature of its business.

(ix) Registration of a pension is not required as this falls outside the scope of the category.